A bed specially designed for use in hospitals. Adjustable for a patient and festooned with built-in equipment, it improves medical outcomes over normal beds.
- 1 ˣ 2
- pass through only
- Cover Effectiveness
- Terrain Affordance
- Surgery Success Chance Factor
- Immunity Gain Speed Factor
- Rest Effectiveness
A hospital bed improves the quality of medical treatments and recovery from both disease and injury.
Constructing a hospital bed requires Hospital Bed to be researched and a construction skill of 8. It requires 40 Stuff (Metallic), 80 Steel, 5 Components and is constructed in 2,800 ticks (46.67 secs).
- Any quality or material hospital bed improves immunity gain speed by +11%.
- Any quality or material hospital bed speeds a pawn's injury healing by +14 HP per day.
- Increases medical tend quality.
- Can be linked with a vitals monitor to further increase medical success.
Rest Effectiveness is a measure how fast a pawn will regain rest. A pawn sleeping in a bed with 125% rest effectiveness would regain rest 25% faster, and thus require 80% of the time to sleep. Rest effectiveness varies by quality and material. Stone materials only offer 90% of the rest effectiveness of a bed made from non-stone materials at the same quality level.
|Rest effectiveness||86% (12.21 h)||92% (11.41 h)||100% (10.5 h)||108% (9.72 h)||114% (9.21 h)||125% (8.4 h)||160% (6.56 h)|
|Sleep accelerator||116% (9.04 h)||124% (8.45 h)||135% (7.78 h)||146% (7.2 h)||154% (6.82 h)||169% (6.22 h)||216% (4.86 h)|
Bracketed numbers are in-game hours to refill rest to 100% from 0% at the given rest effectiveness.
Comfort is a measure of how high a pawn can refill their comfort meter while using the piece of furniture. A pawn sleeping in a bed with a higher comfort value can achieve a higher level. It does not affect the rate at which comfort increases only the maximum level. Comfort levels over 100% have no additional effect. Comfort varies by quality but not material. Beds of the same quality level will all have the same comfort, regardless of what they're constructed from. An adjacent end table and a nearby dresser will each increase the base comfort by a further +0.05. This increase is applied before the quality multiplier.
|+ End Table||0.65||0.75||0.85||0.95||1.05||1.23||1.45|
|+ End Table & Dresser||0.68||0.79||0.9||1.01||1.12||1.31||1.53|
Surgery Success Chance Factor
The Surgery Success Chance Factor is exactly what it sounds like - a multiplier on the chance for a successful surgery assuming it is performed in this bed. The base value depends on the bed type with most beds and bedrolls having a base value of 100%, then modified by the bed's quality level. Construction material does not matter.
|Surgery Success Chance Factor||99||104.5||110||115.5||121||126.5||143|
The massive increase in tend quality and surgery success chance make hospital beds a worthwhile investment. This especially applies in biomes like the Tropical Rainforest or Tropical Swamp, where diseases like malaria are much more frequent. A pawn with a high medical skill and herbal medicine can suffice for most cases early game, but a hospital bed minimizes the risk of poor tend results.
As hospital beds are locked behind a 1200 point research project, as well as needing Sterile Materials (600 points) and Microelectronics (3000 research points), it is not always advisable to prioritize them. If weapons or defenses are needed, get them first.
When compared to a regular bed:
- +6 HP recovered per day, equal to +75% tend quality.
- +4% immunity gain speed
- +?% medical tend quality. However, each type of medicine has its own cap on tend quality.
- +10% increased surgery success chance. Note: This is still subject to the hard cap of 98% success chance, and that that cap is achievable with a normal bed in the right hospital.
- +5% increased base comfort. However, an excellent bed with end table and dresser reaches 100% comfort, the point at which more comfort does nothing.
A hospital bed's benefits are further increased by a vitals monitor.
- Nearly impossible to acquire early game; requires Hospital Bed research and several prerequisites.
- Requires at least Construction level 8.
- More expensive. Costs 80 steel & 5 components more.
- Can't be made out of wood or stone.
- Takes 2.5x longer to construct.
While a regular bed can reach all of maximum tend quality, surgery success, and base comfort, hospital beds do have advantages. In practice, they help pawns recover from both injury and disease faster, compensate for poor doctors, and help mitigate penalties from blood and other filth in the hospital.
|Material||Stuff cost||Beauty||Work to Build||HP||Flammability||Market Value|
|Golden Hospital bed||400||20||ticks (42 secs)2,520||90||40%||4,320|
|Plasteel Hospital bed||40||0||ticks (1.71 mins)6,160||420||0%||695|
|Silver Hospital bed||400||6||ticks (46.67 secs)2,800||105||40%||720|
|Steel Hospital bed||40||0||ticks (46.67 secs)2,800||150||40%||400|
|Uranium Hospital bed||40||0||ticks (1.48 mins)5,320||375||0%||570|