Sandbags

From RimWorld Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Sandbags

Sandbags

Bags of locally-sourced dirt or sand, stacked for use as cover. Sandbags are ugly, but provide better cover than other low objects.

Base Stats

Type
BuildingSecurity
Beauty
-10
HP
300
Flammability
0%
Path Cost
42

Building

Size
1 ˣ 1
Minifiable
False
Placeable
True
Passability
pass through only
Cover Effectiveness
55%
Blocks Wind
False
Terrain Affordance
Light

Creation

Work To Make
180 ticks (3 secs)
Stuff tags
Fabric, Leathery
Resources to make
Stuff 5
Deconstruct yield
Stuff 2 - 3
Destroy yield
Stuff 1 - 2

Sandbags are a security building that can be placed to provide pawns cover, sheltering them from ranged attacks.

Acquisition

Sandbags require Stuff 5 Stuff (Fabric/Leathery) and 180 ticks (3 secs) to build.

Summary

Sandbags provide 55% cover effectiveness, meaning that bullets aimed at targets behind them have a 55% chance to hit the barricades, leaving only a 45% chance to hit anything behind them. Cover won't shelter pawns from melee attacks, thrown projectiles, or explosions. Both colonists and enemies benefit from cover, however turrets do not. They provide identical cover to barricades.

Sandbags are placed on the ground. They slow down pawns walking over them, and do not allow a pawn to "stop" to fire or take cover if they are standing on one. They take damage from bullets and explosions.

Sandbags are largely interchangeable with barricades, as they both have identical cover, base HP, and similar material costs. However, sandbags are made of textiles and are always nonflammable, while barricades are made of metal, wood, and stone materials and their flammability depends on the material chosen. Sandbags also require much less work to make, but barricades are somewhat more beautiful. Unlike barricades, sandbags cannot enclose a pen like the fence.

Analysis

Sandbags and barricades are, in most respects, identical. The material affects the building's health, but not its defensive properties. Sandbags are generally faster to create, making them better in an offensive operation. Barricades are slightly more beautiful, but require more work to make, so are marginally better at permanent defenses. Just remember that raiders will use cover to the same effect, so deconstruct unneeded buildings when you can.

Either building can be combined with walls for more cover. Walls provide superior cover, but a full wall will block line of fire. Having a wall with multiple 1-2 tile gaps of sandbags will give more cover than simply using sandbags, while still allowing pawns to fire through.

Other than their use for cover, sandbags and barricades can be used in killboxes. Enemies that funnel in from a hallway will normally use a wall's corner or side for cover. But as pawns cannot path directly to a cell containing a sandbag, they will likely enter the killbox itself. They will also slow down pawns. Fences are cheaper for both purposes, but have almost no health and are easily destroyed from missed shots. Enemies standing on a sandbag or similar directly non-pathable object can stop and fire from that object if they take damage or bump into other enemies.

Material table

As sandbags and barricades are largely interchangeable except for their aesthetics and material properties, both are included in the following table for convenience.

Note that cover effectiveness is 55% regardless of material or structure choice.

  • Material Stuff cost Beauty Work HP Flammability Terrain Affordance Market Value
    Wooden Barricade 5 Wood -3 000,224 ticks (3.73 secs) 195 100% Light 00,006.80 Silver
    Granite Barricade 5 Granite blocks -3 002,060 ticks (34.33 secs) 510 0% Heavy 00,012,00 Silver
    Limestone Barricade 5 Limestone blocks -3 002,060 ticks (34.33 secs) 465 0% Heavy 00,012,00 Silver
    Marble Barricade 5 Marble blocks -2 001,900 ticks (31.67 secs) 360 0% Heavy 00,011,00 Silver
    Sandstone Barricade 5 Sandstone blocks -3 001,740 ticks (29 secs) 420 0% Heavy 00,011,00 Silver
    Slate Barricade 5 Slate blocks -3 002,060 ticks (34.33 secs) 390 0% Heavy 00,012,00 Silver
    Jade Barricade 5 Jade 7 001,600 ticks (26.67 secs) 150 0% Heavy 00,031,00 Silver
    Golden Barricade 50 Gold 17 000,288 ticks (4.8 secs) 180 40% Medium 00,500,00 Silver
    Plasteel Barricade 5 Plasteel -3 000,704 ticks (11.73 secs) 840 0% Medium 00,048,00 Silver
    Silver Barricade 50 Silver 3 000,320 ticks (5.33 secs) 210 40% Medium 00,051,00 Silver
    Steel Barricade 5 Steel -3 000,320 ticks (5.33 secs) 300 40% Medium 00,011,00 Silver
    Uranium Barricade 5 Uranium -3 000,608 ticks (10.13 secs) 750 0% Medium 00,032,00 Silver
    Bearskin Sandbags 5 Bearskin -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,018,00 Silver
    Birdskin Sandbags 5 Birdskin -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,009.60 Silver
    Bluefur Sandbags 5 Bluefur -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,012,00 Silver
    Camelhide Sandbags 5 Camelhide -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,012,00 Silver
    Chinchilla fur Sandbags 5 Chinchilla fur -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,033,00 Silver
    Dog leather Sandbags 5 Dog leather -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,011,00 Silver
    Elephant leather Sandbags 5 Elephant leather -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 450 0% Light 00,013,00 Silver
    Foxfur Sandbags 5 Foxfur -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,018,00 Silver
    Guinea pig fur Sandbags 5 Guinea pig fur -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 180 0% Light 00,026,00 Silver
    Heavy fur Sandbags 5 Heavy fur -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 450 0% Light 00,017,00 Silver
    Human leather Sandbags 5 Human leather -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,022,00 Silver
    Lightleather Sandbags 5 Lightleather -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,010,00 Silver
    Lizardskin Sandbags 5 Lizardskin -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,011,00 Silver
    Panthera fur Sandbags 5 Panthera fur -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,016,00 Silver
    Patchleather Sandbags 5 Patchleather -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,008.10 Silver
    Pigskin Sandbags 5 Pigskin -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,010,00 Silver
    Plainleather Sandbags 5 Plainleather -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,011,00 Silver
    Rhinoceros leather Sandbags 5 Rhinoceros leather -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 450 0% Light 00,022,00 Silver
    Thrumbofur Sandbags 5 Thrumbofur -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 600 0% Light 00,071,00 Silver
    Wolfskin Sandbags 5 Wolfskin -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,016,00 Silver
    Alpaca wool Sandbags 5 Alpaca wool -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,020,00 Silver
    Bison wool Sandbags 5 Bison wool -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,014,00 Silver
    Cloth Sandbags 5 Cloth -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,008.10 Silver
    Devilstrand Sandbags 5 Devilstrand -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,028,00 Silver
    Hyperweave Sandbags 5 Hyperweave -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 720 0% Light 00,046,00 Silver
    Megasloth wool Sandbags 5 Megasloth wool -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,014,00 Silver
    Muffalo wool Sandbags 5 Muffalo wool -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,014,00 Silver
    Sheep wool Sandbags 5 Sheep wool -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 300 0% Light 00,014,00 Silver
    Synthread Sandbags 5 Synthread -10 000,180 ticks (3 secs) 390 0% Light 00,021,00 Silver
  • Version history

    • Alpha 16/17? - In earlier versions it used to have 70% cover rating.
    • Beta 19 - Received a new, extended description and a retexture, and its cost was reduced from 6 steel to 5.
    • 1.1 - Crafting recipe was changed to use textiles rather than steel, and its health was nerfed (450 -> 300), along with its cover value (65 -> 57%).
    • 1.3.3066 - Fill percent (i.e. cover) reduced from 57% to 55%.

    See also