A portable automatic turret. Requires steel to refurbish its barrel after heavy use. May explode when damaged. Its dumb AI brain can't be directly controlled, so beware of friendly fire.
- 1 ˣ 1
- pass through only
- Cover Effectiveness
- Terrain Affordance
- -80 W
- 12 dmg
- Armor penetration
- 288 ticks (4.8 secs)
- 28.9 tile(s)
- 77% - 70% - 45% - 24%
- 70 (m/s)
- Burst Count
- 2 (per burst)
- 8 ticks (0.13 secs)
- Required Research
- Gun turrets
- Skill Required
- Construction 5
- Work To Make
- 1,800 ticks (30 secs)
The mini-turret is a stationary defense mechanism which fires at incoming enemies.
Mini-turrets are constructed with 30 Stuff (Metallic), 70 Steel, 3 Component and take 1,800 ticks (30 secs) to build, and requires Gun Turrets to be researched. Note that some scenarios start with it already researched.
Alternatively, turrets can be uninstalled and looted from various world sites.
A powered mini-turret automatically fires with a mini-turret gun at any enemy entering its range of 24.9 tiles, if not set to Hold Fire. Turrets can also be stunned by EMP damage, and can't target pawns if there's blind smoke in the way. After firing 60 rounds, mini-turrets need to be reloaded with 80 steel by a hauler. This can be adjusted in the storyteller settings, but all default difficulty settings do not alter this.
The turret itself fires with an accuracy of 96%, equal to a Shooting skill of 8. It fires a 2-round burst, with no need for warmup, but with a slow 4.8 second cooldown. Enemies will only target turrets that are active, unless they are a raider with no other targets available (where they can attack any building).
Turrets have a 50% chance to explode when it reaches 20% health. The exploding turret will spark and emit a hissing sound shortly before exploding a 240 ticks (4 secs) later. All nearby raiders will run in an attempt to get out of the blast radius (3 tiles) to keep their skin intact.
The explosion deals 50 Bomb damage - which does 400 damage to walls, 200 to plants and impassible buildings, 100 damage to all others structures and furniture, 50 damage to the slag chunks and components that drop, and around 50 damage across multiple body parts to all pawns unlucky enough to get caught in the explosion. Doors do not block the explosion.
|This section is a stub. You can help RimWorld Wiki by expanding it. Reason: General viability/ turret structures / use cases.|
A single turret, or even a small group of them, isn't much firepower. Each mini-turret is roughly equal to a good short bow or normal recurve bow shot with 8 Shooting skill. However, the firepower adds up when they are massed together. Large colonies can use turrets in a killbox, where enemies funnel together to be shot at by full force. Just make sure that the turrets aren't too clumped together, or one explosion will take them all out.
Turrets are also great distractions. Raiders will often target a powered turret over a colonist, if it would be closer. Turning a turret's power off (such as with a power switch) will prevent manhunters from attacking them.
Enemies that are unusually clever, as well as sappers in general, will try and avoid a turret's line of sight. While this might seem like a bad thing, a lategame colony can place mini-turrets where you don't want sappers or breachers to go (assuming you aren't using turrets as a main defense).
- You should expect turrets to be frequently replaced.
- Steel is the most viable option early-game, but steel turrets aren't durable and won't survive sustained firepower.
- The most effective material is plasteel. It has the most HP, is non-flammable, is somewhat easier than uranium to obtain mid-late game, and saves steel for other purposes.
|Material||Stuff cost||Beauty||Work to Build||HP||Flammability||Market Value|
|Golden Mini-turret||300||0||ticks (27 secs)1,620||60||28%||3,235|
|Plasteel Mini-turret||30||-20||ticks (1.1 mins)3,960||280||0%||515|
|Silver Mini-turret||300||-14||ticks (30 secs)1,800||70||28%||535|
|Steel Mini-turret||30||-20||ticks (30 secs)1,800||100||28%||290|
|Uranium Mini-turret||30||-20||ticks (57 secs)3,420||250||0%||420|
- 0.2.363 - Made turret look and sound weak to match its functionality.
- Alpha 3 - Auto-turret renamed to Improvised Turret.
- Beta 19 - renamed from Improvised turret to mini-turret. Power decreased from 350W and costed decreased, but now requires barrel changes.
- 1.1 - it was nerfed to fire a 2-round burst, down from 3.
- 1.1.2569 - Range increased from 25 to 29.
- 1.1.2618 - Reload cost was doubled and the fuel capacity was halved, while the damage was increased to 11 from 10.
- 1.3.3200 - Damage increased from 11 to 12. Accuracy increased: touch 0.7 -> 0.77, short 0.64 -> 0.7, medium 0.41 -> 0.45, long 0.22 -> 0.24. Turret ammo cost is no longer factored by difficulty (previously: Adventure Story and below reduced cost).