IED antigrain warhead trap
|This page could use some more or updated images. You can help RimWorld Wiki by uploading images to make this page better. Note: Images of damage AoE with damage drop off indicated in a style similar to File:Skip shield radius.jpg..|
IED antigrain warhead trap
An antimatter-powered antigrain warhead connected to a trigger which detonates on touch or bullet impact. Since it is hidden in the surrounding terrain, it cannot be placed adjacent to other traps. Animals can sense these when calm.
- 1 ˣ 1
- Terrain Affordance
- Required Research
- Skill Required
- Construction 3
- Work To Make
- 1,400 ticks (23.33 secs)
The IED antigrain warhead trap is Security building that explodes when stepped on, detonating in a massive explosion powerful enough to instantly kill all enemies in-game except for the Thrumbo, Centipede, and shield belt-wearing enemies.
IEDs are single use traps that may be triggered when a pawn of any kind walks over it. The base trigger chance is 100% for enemies, including manhunter animals. Non-manhunting wild animals have a 25% chance to trigger the trap but are aware of the location of traps and will avoid pathing over them if reasonably possible. Colonists, friends, and tame animals have 0.4% (one in 250) to trigger the IED, but are also aware of the location of traps and will avoid pathing over them if reasonably possible. In all instances, the nimble trait multiplies the trigger chance for that pawn by 10%, that is, a 10% chance for enemies and 0.04% chance for friendly pawns.
When triggered, the IED will spark and emit a hissing sound shortly before exploding a 15 ticks (0.25 secs) later, dealing "Bomb Super" damage in a 15 tile radius of itself, dealing 550 damage at the center and 110 damage at the extreme edge of the radius and linearly interpolated in between, and setting fires to roughly 22% of the affected tiles. Nearby non-drafted pawns, colonist and NPC alike, will attempt to clear the blast radius once the spark starts however the short wick time and large radius make success unlikely.
Regular antigrain warheads have a radius of 14.9 tiles - as a mortar has a base miss radius of 9 tiles, a launched warhead can hit the intended tile and every tile within a 5-tile radius with the force stronger than a doomsday rocket launcher at 100% certainty. This makes antigrain traps more niche than regular IED traps.
Antigrain traps have the advantage of being placed in a precise location. Bulkier mechs like centipedes are able to survive the edge of an antigrain shell. The trap can provide a more precise, i.e., a more powerful blast against these targets.
- Great against stationary threats like crashed ship parts and mech clusters (without obtrusive proximity activators). They will let you place down a trap nearby - so long as it isn't too close to a mech/structure.
- Good against mechanoid commanders, such as the apocriton. Whenever a mech boss is summoned, all of its escorts will follow the boss, rather than rushing ahead like with regular mech raids.
- Finally, the antigrain shell must actually be fired from a mortar, forcing players to lead their shots against moving targets. Therefore, the trap can help prevent some human error, if you know exactly where raiders will go to. Note that industrial factions will often have raiders using go-juice, who will run ahead of the group and trigger the trap early.
If the Classic Mortars storyteller setting is turned on, the mortar miss radius is increased to 12 tiles, reducing the launched shell's effectiveness. This makes the IED a more lucrative option.
- 1.1.0 - IEDs explode when bullets hit them. This allows the player to purposefully shoot them to set them off.
- ? - texture updated. Before 1.3.3159 and presumably sometime after 1.0.2096 to correspond with antigrain warhead texture change.