Hi-tech research bench
Hi-tech research bench
A high-tech bench with computers and electronic measurement equipment. Allows more rapid research, and unlocks advanced research projects.
- 5 ˣ 2
- pass through only
- Cover Effectiveness
- Terrain Affordance
- -250 W
It is the more advanced version of the simple research bench, providing faster research speeds and allowing access to more advanced technologies. It is also the only bench that can be linked to the Multi-analyzer.
Hi-tech research benches can be constructed once the Microelectronics research project has been completed. They require 150 Stuff (Metallic), 100 Steel, 10 Components, 5,000 ticks (1.39 mins) of work, and a Construction skill of 6.
|This section is a stub. You can help RimWorld Wiki by expanding it. Reason: Specific mechanical effect of cleanliness on research rate..|
Once a project has been selected in the Research tab, colonists assigned to Research work type will work at a hi-tech research bench to complete the project. Multiple researchers can contribute toward a project at the same time, so long as sufficient research benches are available, and benches can be freely swapped between researchers.
The rate of research depends on the following factors:
- The research speed stat of the researcher.
- The type of research bench and facilities used. Hi-tech research benches have ×1 multiplier to this research rate.
- Linking a multi-analyzer gives a +10% buff to the research bench. This buff is additive with the research bench, and then multiplied by other factors.
- A ×0.7 work multiplier for being in "Bad Temperature" - below 10 °C (50 °F) or above 35 °C (95 °F) - like most production facilities.
- A ×0.9 work multiplier for being outdoors.
- The Cleanliness of the room. The modifier is ×0.75 for very dirty (-5 or lower), ×1 for clean (0), and ×1.09 for sterile (0.6). Being outdoors gives a ×0.75 multiplier for Cleanliness (in addition to the penalty for being outdoors).
Some research projects require either the hi-tech research bench, or both the bench and the multi-analyzer. Multi-analyzers link to all hi-tech research benches within 4 tiles. Only linked benches can be used to research projects that require the multi-analyzer.
Unlike the simple research bench and multi-analyzer, these cannot be un/reinstalled, only deconstructed.
Once they are unlocked, hi-tech research benches are 33.33% faster at researching than the simple research bench. As soon as Microelectronics is researched and the colony has sufficient power and resources to construct them, simple benches should be replaced. This is also required to unlock projects beyond Microelectronics. Multiple research benches can be used concurrently; as soon as you have the resources and manpower to spare, you may want to have 2 researchers operating at once.
If resources are tight but several researchers are available, simple research benches can be retained in order to research less complex technologies. Simple and hi-tech research benches may be used together, though pawns will automatically abandon any simple benches when hi-tech is required. You can also place half of the available researchers on a night shift, allowing them to effectively share hi-tech benches.
Because research is a long term task, it is advised to please researchers:
- Increase a researcher's comfort with dining chairs or armchairs, and install sculptures or other beautiful items to increase mood.
- Install floors and keep the room clean, which also increases research speed.
Research rooms can be kept small and out of major thoroughfares, to minimize the amount of cleaning time and sterile tile used. For example, the lab on the right uses 30 sterile tile, which costs 90 steel and 360 silver (plus the costs of the benches themselves, etc.). Alternatively, you can combine the research room with a hospital, as both take full advantage of Cleanliness.
If investing any significant amount of resources into a laboratory, it is recommended to build it such that it will fit the multi-analyzer that will eventually be required.
|Material||Stuff cost||Beauty||Work to Build||HP||Flammability||Market Value|
|Golden Hi-tech research bench||1500||20||ticks (1.25 mins)4,500||150||40%||15,525|
|Plasteel Hi-tech research bench||150||0||ticks (3.06 mins)11,000||700||0%||1,900|
|Silver Hi-tech research bench||1500||6||ticks (1.39 mins)5,000||175||40%||2,030|
|Steel Hi-tech research bench||150||0||ticks (1.39 mins)5,000||250||40%||815|
|Uranium Hi-tech research bench||150||0||ticks (2.64 mins)9,500||625||0%||1,445|
Assuming Normal quality, for the effect of other qualities, see Quality.
- 0.13.1135 - added.