Refines biological matter like wood or plant matter into chemfuel.
- Building – Production
- Path Cost
- 3 ˣ 2
- pass through only
- Cover Effectiveness
- Terrain Affordance
- -170 W
- Required Research
- Biofuel refining
- Skill Required
- Construction 4
- Work To Make
- 2,000 ticks (33.33 secs)
The biofuel refinery is a production building that produces chemfuel from wood or non-hay raw food.
Constructing a biofuel refinery requires Biofuel Refining to be researched, as well as 150 Steel, 3 Components and 2,000 ticks (33.33 secs). It requires a minimum construction skill of 4.
Once constructed, it cannot be re-installed, it can only be deconstructed.
While the refinery is selected, click "Bills" then "Add Bill" to add an order to produce chemfuel:
- Make chemfuel from wood: Turns 70 wood logs, worth 84 into 35 chemfuel, worth 80.5. Takes 2,000 ticks (33.33 secs) of work.
- Make chemfuel from raw food: Turns 3.5 nutrition worth of food ingredients into 35 chemfuel, worth 80.5. Takes 2,500 ticks (41.67 secs) of work.
Food that colonists don't like, such as human meat and insect meat, can be processed in a biofuel refinery at no consequence. Note that butchering a human at all comes with a mood penalty in the first place, unless disabled by a trait or ideoligion.
Biofuel refineries are one of the few ways to produce chemfuel. Boomalopes are better in both nutrition/chemfuel and work/chemfuel with any amount of Animals proficiency. However, you'll need to actually get boomalopes, and manage the explosive animal. Infinite chemreactors are entirely free fuel, but it is exclusively a quest reward.
Chemfuel is required in order to create items like molotov cocktails and high-explosive shells, and refuel items like pod launchers and firefoam pop packs. Meanwhile, chemfuel powered generators are more efficient than wood generators in almost any scenario (see Comparison to chemfuel generators).
As a rough order of which fuel takes the least work:
- Insect meat and human meat (if the butchering penalty can be ignored). An infestation can lead to a massive amount of food, for instance.
- Harvesting trees, if you have a lot of trees in the nearby area (such as in a Tropical rainforest).
- Growing plants - specifically corn, if available.
- Actually sowing trees takes a lot of time - it is never worth it to use wood over raw food if you have to grow wood.
- Before Beta 19, it used to be simply called the Refinery, and meals could be used as organic ingredients.