Healer mech serum
Healer mech serum
A one-use super-dose of mechanites tuned to heal health conditions. The mechanites will target and heal the single worst health condition affecting someone at any given time. Works even on health conditions that would otherwise be incurable. The mechanites can even transmute themselves into organic matter, forming new limbs or organs as needed.
- Exotic Item
- Stack Limit
The Healer mech serum is an item that can be awarded from quests.
Pawns can be directed to use it, or it can be administered by medical procedure. When used, it instantly removes the most severe health problem on the pawn, with only few exceptions. If there are no healable conditions, the serum will still be used up.
Below are the conditions which the serum cannot treat:
- Luciferium need
- Drug tolerances
To regrow a missing body part, the artificial part has to be removed first (by surgery) before the serum is applied.
Any other condition can be treated, including blood loss, malnutrition, heatstroke/hypothermia, diseases, toxic buildup, even other drug addictions – in many cases you do not want to treat these conditions with the serum, unless they would lead to certain death. Do not apply the serum unless absolutely certain it will heal the correct condition.
Many crippling conditions can only be cured by this item. It should thus be used wisely. Even missing limbs or failed organs can be replaced, while a demented brain can not. The serum should be saved for situations where all other ailments fail, or for situations when the pawn would certainly die if untreated (usually an infection or disease about to become fatal).
Do not expect to find more than a handful of these serums during a playthrough, if even that many.
- Great for colonists with brain damage, dementia and frailty.
- There is no other way to heal these chronic ailments, which can be quite crippling, other than killing the pawn and then applying a Resurrector mech serum, which is another very rare item that can cause adverse side-effects.
- Brain scarring (not dementia or chemical damage) could be treated with Luciferium, which will, however, cause immediate hard dependence on the drug, which is very costly in the long run.
- Repair shattered spines or pelvises to allow colonists to function again (the former can however also be fixed with a bionic spine).
- Immediately end a colonist's catatonic break at quite a cost. Do so when the colonist is vital to your colony's operations -- this should be a very rare occasion.
- Prevent resurrection psychosis from taking over your resurrected colonist. Do note that resurrection psychosis is not revealed until it reaches its second stage, but will still be cured by using a Healer mech serum if used before it is discovered.
- This is the only option to fix certain Social penalties, such as the Disfigured debuff from a missing nose.
Organs that occur in pairs (kidneys, eyes, ears) will always be healed in pairs (e.g. the serum would cure a cataract in both eyes, not just one). Replacements however occur individually.
Order of conditions treated
The serum will heal conditions according to severity, in this order:
- Missing limbs
- Legs > shoulders/arms
- Toxic buildup
- Diseases, in order of severity
- Scars on the brain
- Missing organs
- Lungs > kidneys
- Drug addiction
- Scars on other parts
The game does not necessarily rank the severity of conditions in the same way the player would. This can lead to the "wrong" condition being healed, since the serum only heals one condition. As an example, a "major infection (developed immunity)" is rated worse by the game than "Alzheimer's (minor)", even though the latter is normally incurable, while the former condition is not even a practical problem. Make sure to check the health condition of the pawn carefully before administering the serum.
It was added in Beta 18. At that time it could treat injuries and ailments, but could not treat some conditions, notably diseases.
In Beta 19/1.0 its function was expanded such that it can now treat nearly all health conditions.