Trees are a type of plant, acting as one of the most common type of fauna in RimWorld. They can either be native to the Biome or planted by the player in a growing zone. They are vulnerable to fire and leave behind burnt trees when burnt. Cutting them down yields wood, a resource to craft weapons, make furniture, feed the wood-fired generator, and more. While in real life Cacti and Bamboo technically aren't trees, in RimWorld they are included in this category.
- Teak, Cecropia, Palm and Bamboo are native to Tropical biomes.
- Oak and Poplar are native to temperate biomes.
- Cacti and Poplar are native to Arid biomes (only Cacti in Extreme Desert). Cacti are unique in that they have a fertility sensitivity of 0% and minimum fertility of 5%.
- Birch and Pine are native to colder biomes (barring Ice Sheet and Sea Ice).
- Cocoa is not native to any biome.
Trees that are native to your colony's biome may be planted once tree sowing has been researched by growers with a Plants skill of 6+. However, growing Cocoa trees requires further research and may be planted by growers with a Plants skill of 8+. Trees are different from other crops in that they require at least a one tile distance from other crops as well as each other, including wild trees. Farmers will automatically cut wild trees for this. Native trees are immune to blight, but cocoa trees are not.
Trees may not be grown under roofs. This means that trees may not be grown in completely closed greenhouses. They may only be grown in greenhouses with roofs open in a grid pattern, that leak a lot of temperature-controlled air.
Un-managed colonist have a very annoying habit of planting trees in very inefficient patterns, drastically and unnecessarily reducing yield. However, there are ways to stop this without constant micromanagement. Methods include:
- Make a pattern of 1 tile grow zones, which then all can be selected with a doubleclick and easily managed
- Forbidding building (typically flooring, but any will work) (see image, right)
- Pave walkways, which makes designating 1 tile grow zones easier and helps with cleanliness and walk speed
- Build a roof with 1 tile holes on top of nearby columns or walls
Trees are able to grow in the temperature range 0 °C – 58 °C (32 °F – 136.4 °F). If the ambient temperature drops below freezing, trees will cease to grow until they return to their comfortable range again (including Pine trees that are native to cold biomes). Some trees will instantaneously shed all of their leaves at -2 °C (28.4 °F), while sturdier specimens will hold out until -10 °C (14 °F).This range differs from tree to individual tree. If the temperature remains at a comfortable level for at least a day, their leaves will magically reappear.
At 40% growth, it is possible to obtain 50% of their yield. Cacti can be cut at 20%. Note that the Growth Time in the below table assumes 24hr growth. Trees don't grow between 19h and 6h. Note that environmental factors such as temperature and light levels further negatively influence growth speed.
Trees can be used for cover in combat. Most trees provide 25% cover, except:
Note that while the Burned tree, Bonsai tree, Cocoa tree, and Gauranlen tree, are listed below as not native to a number of biomes, they can all be sown or created in all biomes except Sea Ice. Bonsai trees can be sown in any biome via the use of a bonsai pot.
Also note that Fibercorn is not a tree, but is provided for comparison as another wood producer.
|Tree||Grow Days||Real Grow Days||Product||Harvest Yield||Product per Day[A]||Fertility Sensitivity||Product per Work|
- ^A Product per Day is calculated as Harvest Yield divided by Real Grow Days, and assumes 100% soil fertility
- ^B Unlike most tree and tree equivalents, this plant can be grown in hydroponics. This means Product/Day may not be directly comparable depending on where the item is planted.
- 0.10.785 - No longer sowable. Change reverted in A10B of same update. A10C increase sowing time.
- Beta 19/ 1.0 - Trees’ color now depends on the current season. Sowing trees now takes 8x longer. Can now only sow trees which grow naturally in the local biome, including saguaro cactus. Reduced all tree-type plant’s max hit points by to 66% of old values.