A grave provides a place to bury corpses. Graves can be constructed without need of materials. The default storage setting only allows human corpses, but can be set to accept animals, strangers or mechanoids. A body can be removed (hauled) from a grave with the 'Open' command. Deconstructing will also release the buried.
- Unburied human corpses trigger 'observed corpse' negative thought for passersbys.
- Unburied colonist bodies trigger the 'colonist left unburied' negative thought.
- Unburied corpses have -150 beauty, resulting in an ugly environment.
- Colonists visiting graves of fellow members gain joy boost.
Graves cannot be stood on, though they can be walked through. This allows tactical usage by positioning graves to prevent enemies from standing on some locations.
- Molotov cocktails can be thrown on corpses for fire to burn them up. Currently the electric crematorium which was used to burn corpses while requiring electricity is an obsolete appliance.
- Sarcophagi are nicer but require materials to make.
- Until Alpha 4, there used to be another version called Gibbet cage which caused mood debuff (Fear) to characters passing nearby.