Levels of Rest
Characters' rest level is grouped into four thresholds: Rested, Tired, Very Tired, and Exhausted. Each threshold exhibits different effects on a character, especially their Thoughts. When a character's rest level is zero they may collapse from exhaustion; they will immediately begin sleeping on the ground wherever they are.
The rest levels are as follows:
|Tired||>=14% and <28%|
|Very Tired||>=1% and <14%|
Rest caps at 0% and 100%.
When awake, rest goes down every 150 ticks (1/400 of a game day) depending on the character's current rest.
|Rest threshold||Rest change per 150 ticks||Rest change per game day||Time between previous and next thresholds|
|Rested||-0.2375%||-95%||~0.758 game days (100 => 28)|
|Tired||-0.16625%||-66.5%||~0.211 game days (28 => 14)|
|Very Tired||-0.07125%||-28.5%||~0.456 game days (14 => 1)|
|Exhausted||-0.1425%||-57%||~0.018 game days (1 => 0)|
When a character rests in a bed, their Rest value increases over time.
Each 150 ticks, rest increases by 150 * 100% / Full Sleep Hours Per Day (10.5 / 24) / Ticks Per Game Day (60000) * Rest Effectiveness * Rest Rate Multiplier = ~0.57143% * Rest Effectiveness * Rest Rate Multiplier
Rest Rate Multiplier is a character (pawn) stat that defaults at 1.0 and is based off blood pumping, metabolism, and breathing capacities (and thus is affected by relevant injuries, bionics, etc.)
Blood Pumping has a .3 weight
Metabolism has a .3 weight
Breathing has a .3 weight
Rest Effectiveness depends on the object the character is sleeping on:
|Object||Rest Effectiveness at Normal quality||Rest increase per 150 ticks||Rest increase per "full sleep game hours" (10.5)||Rest increase per game day|
|Sleeping Spot or Ground||0.8||~0.45714%||80%||~182.857%|
and the quality of that object:
|Quality||Rest Effectiveness Multiplier|
Therefore, when a character reaches the Tired threshold (28%), it takes them this long to return to full (100%) rest:
|Object||Time from Tired to Full Rest|
|Sleeping Spot or Ground||0.39375 game days|
|Normal Bed||0.315 game days|
|Legendary Royal Bed||0.1875 game days|
Pawn Sleeping furniture:
- Sleeping spot - a free method to designate a place to sleep, but uncomfortable with terrible rest effectivness.
- Double sleeping spot - a sleeping spot equvialent bed that allows up to two pawns to sleep together.
- Bedroll - a portable, lower tech version of the bed that provides less comfort and rest effectivness.
- Double bedroll - a bedroll equvialent bed that allows up to two pawns to sleep together.
- Double bed - a bed equvialent bed that allows up to two pawns to sleep.
- Royal bed - an expensive double bed that provides additional comfort and rest effectiveness.
- Hospital bed - a bed equivalent with a larger immunity gain speed factor