This is the table of contents for the modding tutorial. Here, you'll learn step by step how to create mods of gradually increasing complexity.
In light of little official documentation, most of the knowledge here was gained by experience, trial-and-error, decompiling and learning from the source. Keep in mind that RimWorld is a big game that underwent substantial code changes during its alphas. While most of this wiki was updated for 1.0, some information you find may be outdated.
What's a mod?
A mod is a folder containing data the game reads/loads. Mods can add, remove or alter the content of other mods (including the Core mod) in the broadest sense of the word. For more info, see also Modding.
Introduction to modding
- First Steps and Some Links
- Essence of Modding
- Exploring the Folder Structure
- Mod Folder Structure
- Recommended Software
- Testing Mods
- Adding and Testing Sounds
- Decompiling Texture/Sound Assets
- XML File Structure
- Introduction to XML Defs
- In-depth XML Def tutorials
- PatchOperations, replace specific xml elements of core files while keeping the rest untampered. Uses xpath.
- Setting up
- Hello World
- Decompiling Source Code
- Writing Custom Code
- Linking XML and C#
- Alter Code at Runtime with Harmony - this is a best practice for modifying game code, replacing C# code injection to reduce Mod Conflicts
- The wonderful things you will want to do with C#
- Useful things:
- Mod settings - Add settings to your mod
- Def mod extensions - Add (custom) fields to Defs
- Custom Comp Classes - A quick overview of what types of Comps there are, and what they're suited for.
- Introduction to Def Classes
- Using Harmony to optionally patch other mods for the sake of compatibility
- TweakValues - Change values on the fly (handy for quick iteration!)
- ExposeData - Save stuff
- The big ass list of useful classes - A non-exhaustive list of classes you'll use most
- ExampleJob - Mehni's top to bottom breakdown of Jobs.
- Artstyle - Officially unofficial guide to RimWorld's Artstyle
- Ekksu's guide to creating RimWorld animals
- ChickenPlucker's guide to creating apparel
- Seraphile's guide to masks
- Assembly Modding
- The Plague Gun based on the Plague Gun tutorial by Jecrell, updated for 1.0. Thread.