Modding Tutorials/Assembly Modding Example
This is a small demonstration about how you can make a mod that's using an assembly (.dll).
With this little project you learn about the assembly and it's program. Additionally you'll build your own dark matter generator and an animated wind turbine. :-)
Note, that this is Windows only, as I have no experience with Linux or Mac. Sorry...
You need the following tools:
- Any Recommended IDE or your preferred IDE;
- A basic understanding of C#
Download the project from GitHub
or from the attachment of the forum post.
Before you start the project, you need to make the following preparations:
- Extract the file to a folder of your choice
- Go into your RimWorld-Folder:
- Copy ..\RimWorld000Win\RimWorld000Win_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll to ..\YourProjectFolder\RimWorld_ExampleProjectDLL\Source-DLLs\
- Copy ..\RimWorld000Win\RimWorld000Win_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll to ..\YourProjectFolder\RimWorld_ExampleProjectDLL\Source-DLLs\
Enter The Project
Now that you've prepared everything, it is time to enter the project and take a look into what makes the pump do what it does and where the problem is..
So open the project by starting <YourExtractionFolder>\RimWorld_ExampleProjectDLL.sln
If everything is installed correctly, Visual Studio should startup, opening your project.
Everything else is described inside.
And once you're finished, you have created your very own dark matter generator.
With this in mind.. Have fun exploring the secrets of the RimWorld code.
See you on the other side.
The forum entry can be found here.
PS: For those of you, who only want the power generator: The finished mod is inside the project.