Modding Tutorials/First Steps
From RimWorld Wiki
Don't start making mods until you do the following.
Step 1: Search for a Mod Already Doing What You Want
Seriously, there are so many mods, there is generally one, probably of high quality, doing what you want it to.
- Search Steam's Workshop. These have ready to go and managed by Steam mods. Click to use them.
- Check the RimWorld Mod Forum
- Use Google because it works.
Step 2: Read Other Info On Modding
- RimWorld Wiki - Modding
- RimWorld Wiki - Modding Tutorials
- RimWorld Forum - Modding Help
- Tynan's Readme.txt in your Rimworld directory (in RimWorldMac.app for Mac people)
Step 3: One Time Reads
- RimWorld Wiki - XML file structure and loading
- RimWorld Wiki - Testing
- A17 Modding Updates - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32735.0 - by ZorbaTHut
Step 4: Useful Links, Reference Constantly
- Wiki - Folder Structure
- Ludeon Forum - Modding Help
- RimWorld XML Database - xml explained for XML modders
Step 5: Tutorials by Others
- (Alpha 15c) How to make a .dll-mod (Power Generation) - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3408.0