The flu is a disease easy to beat, requiring only a modest (healthy) doctor with ordinary, or even herbal medicine; for healthy colonists, you can simply let the disease progress on its own.
Flu immunizes faster than it develops, taking only 3.780 days to develop immunity (assuming the patient is rested in an ordinary bed for the whole time, under the age of 40 and normal blood filtration) It only proves a major threat to those above the age of 40, but even then you don't need a very skilled doctor or very good medicine to dispatch of the disease.
If left untreated, the flu can kill vulnerable people in 4 days from discovery. Good treatment will slow the disease up to the point where it takes 11.15 days to kill.
- General symptoms include impaired consciousness, manipulation, breathing, and eventually vomiting.
- Advanced symptoms include frequent vomiting, a small amount of pain, and eventually death - along with the general symptoms.
- The disease occurs at 33.3% progress towards death, but also 34.7% immunity in a young, healthy individual.
Overcoming the Flu for 80+ year old patients
Make sure they are in bed at all times, well-fed, and treated when necessary. You need to provide at least 30% treatment quality - as long as their blood filtration levels are normal. You'll generally want to aim higher than this though, as 30% quality is the bare minimum needed to survive, and may not always work.
The following combinations of medicine skill and medicine types will be able to provide 30% treatment quality (assuming the doctor is healthy and unmodified):
- Level 1 Medicine skill and Glitterworld medicine
- Level 3 Medicine skill and ordinary Medicine
- Level 6 Medicine skill and Herbal medicine
Minor (Hidden) - Severity: 0 - 0.332
- No effect on the affected colonist.
- Buildup to the initial 33.3% disease head start that the flu has.
Minor - Severity: 0.333 - 0.665
- -5% Consciousness
- -5% Manipulation
- -10% Breathing
Major - Severity: 0.666 - 0.832
- Vomiting every 1.5 days (36 hours) on average
- -10% Consciousness
- -10% Manipulation
- -15% Breathing
Extreme - Severity: 0.833 - 1
- +5% Pain
- Vomiting every 0.75 days (18 hours) on average
- -15% Consciousness
- -20% Manipulation
- -20% Breathing
- When not immune, severity increases by 0.166 per day.
- When immune, severity decreases by 0.333 per day.
- Immunity increases by 0.173 per day when sick.
- Treatment slows progression by a maximum of 0.09 per day.
- This mean the severity will increase at 0.076 per day at this rate.