Outdoors is the need for every pawn without the Undergrounder trait to be outside. Even when landed on a frontier world, most pawns feel the need for the great outdoors. Keeping them inside for too long will eventually affect their mood negatively.
This isn't much of a concern for certain professions. Farmers, animal handlers and hunters will go outside quite regularly. It's more of a concern for pawns whose jobs keep them inside: cooks, builders, tailors, crafters, artists, researchers, etc.
For the equivalent but inverse need for Undergrounder pawns, see Indoors.
Characters' outdoors level is grouped into six thresholds: None, Stuck Indoors, Trapped Indoors, Cabin Fever, Trapped Underground and Entombed Underground. Each threshold provides a different thought and thus mood penalty to a character.
The outdoors levels are as follows:
|Stuck indoors||>60% and ≤80%||−1|
|Trapped indoors||>40% and ≤60%||−3|
|Cabin fever||>20% and ≤40%||−5|
|Trapped underground||>0.05% and ≤20%||−7|
Outdoors caps at 0% and 100%.
The outdoors status level ticks up or down depending on two factors - the roof above the pawn, and whether they are considered indoors by room mechanics.
Reductions in status level are reduced to 20% of their values while a pawn is in a bed, such as when awaiting an operation, and all changes are frozen while a pawn is sleeping.
The outdoors need can only drop below 20% when under overhead mountain, however, if the outdoors need is already below 20% and the value would otherwise decrease, it will not increase. It will simply stay where it is.
The changes in each circumstance are displayed below. The value changes every 150 ticks (2.5 secs).
|No Roof||Constructed Roof; or
Rock roof (Thin)
|Per 150 ticks||Per In-Game Hour||Per 150 ticks||Per In-Game Hour||Per 150 ticks||Per In-Game Hour|
|Indoors and in Bed||+1.25%||+20.83%||−0.016%||−0.27%||−0.0225%||−0.38%|
|Outdoors and in Bed||+2%||+33.33%||+0.25%||+4.17%||−0.02%||−0.33%|
|This section is a stub. You can help RimWorld Wiki by expanding it.|
- Most pawns that aren't zoned out will satisfy this need on their own by going on a walk during Recreation.
- Spacing out your colony buildings from each other can help satisfy this need simply by forcing pawns to walk outdoors between them.
- Build your Rec Room outdoors will allow your pawns to see nature while they unwind.
- Manually Draft them and move them outside for awhile.
- Pawns not under roofs will gain Outdoors faster than under roofs.
- While events will not affect Outdoors, pawns under a thick roof will lose Outdoors ~30% faster, and pawns in bed will lose/gain Outdoors at 20%.