|This article relates to content added by Biotech (DLC). Please note that it will not be present without the DLC enabled.|
Hussars are engineered soldiers. They fight aggressively and with precision, heal fast, thrive in extreme temperatures, and freely ingest military drugs. They have a genetic dependence on the drug go-juice, which also makes them less likely to rebel against their commanders.
While hussars' emotions make them dangerous in combat, they can't relate to baseliner humans. They are famous for their blood-red eyes and "hussar stare", a dead expression that unsettles many people. Their lack of expression and burning aggressive nature has led to many violent misunderstandings.
In most societies where they live, hussars are kept separated from the rest of the population. Hussars are single-purpose tools - and they generally aren't bothered by the fact.
The table below describes the chance for a given pawn from each faction being a hussar. Note that this value does not account for chances in xenotype chance from ideoligion or from pawn kind, it only shows the base value before those factors.
|Fierce neanderthal tribe||0%|
|Savage impid tribe||0%|
|Civil outlander union||5%|
|Rough outlander union||5%|
|Rough pig union||0%|
|Cannibal pirate gang||5%|
As raiders, hussars have a x1.5 combat power multiplier, meaning they count as 1.5 of a raider.
Hussars are made, not born. Overall, their genes help them last longer and perform better in combat, at the cost of many other skills. They are genetically dependent on go-juice, with major consequences if their need is not met: they will start feeling mood effects after 5 days without it, will fall into a coma after 30 days without, and will die after 60 days of deprivation.
Hussars can be immediately noticeable by their glowing red eyes.
All hussars have these xenogenes:
|Superfast wound healing||Psychically deaf||Cold tolerant||Heat tolerant||Partial antitoxic lungs||Hyper-aggressive||Reduced pain||Unstoppable||Go-juice dependency|
|Red eyes||Short-haired||Standard body||Hulk body|
|Great shooting||Great melee||Awful animals||Awful plants||Awful artistic||Awful social|
Since you cannot pass Hussar characteristics on through reproduction, you must capture or recruit a hussar to your base instead. Right now, Hussars are most likely to be found among Empire parties, but have a small chance of showing up with Outlanders or Pirates. You can also chance upon them within groups of travelers and merchants. You may find Hussar children, but they will not feel the ill-effects of their go-juice dependency until they turn 13.
Hussars are created soldiers. Great shooting, great melee, and superfast wound healing. While not as good in melee as a neanderthal (as they lack Strong melee damage), hussars are amazing shooters and fighters. They are bad at most other tasks, but are unpenalized in: Construction, Mining, Cooking, Crafting, and Medical. Even if a hussar is only good at hauling, cleaning, and combat, they can be worthwhile colonists, given that raids are a concern to you.
Go-juice dependency comes with downsides, but the ability to freely inject go-juice can be incredibly powerful. See below for how to manage a go-juice dependency.
Despite the scary sounding dependency, a hussar's go-juice need isn't difficult to maintain. So long as you have Go-juice production and Psychite refining researched, creating go-juice is simple: it only takes yayo and neutroamine.
- Yayo can be grown in your colony. A single psychoid plant provides enough material to prevent death for a year. In a year-round biome, a 2x2 field of psychoid plants will prevent deficiency for indefinite time. If your biome has a winter, a single 5x5 field prevents deficiency for an entire year.
- Neutroamine can only be bought. But a small amount of neutroamine is enough to provide a large amount of go-juice. A stack of 50 neutroamine, worth 300 before Trade Price Improvement and difficulty, lasts a pawn for 125 days, just over 2 years, without deficiency. With 0 Social skill in Losing is Fun, this price increases to 504. While you have to find a trader, you have 60 days to reach a caravan, faction base, or orbital trader selling neutroamine before death.
If you're using go-juice for combat or work, the supply won't last quite as long. But the point remains - it isn't that expensive. Even if you take go-juice for every raid, the costs are quite affordable. As mentioned above, even if your neutroamine stash is destroyed, you'll have a lot of time before death. In an emergency, cryptosleep caskets or ancient cryptosleep caskets can be used to pause the dependency.
In return, a hussar can use unlimited amounts of go-juice, with no health downsides, ever. This drug provides substantial boosts to combat, and due to the massive increase in Moving, can allow for a variety of tactics otherwise impossible. Go-juice dependency is easier to manage than addiction, and gives +4 metabolic efficiency. It might be hard to start with a hussar. But in the mid-game, you shouldn't be worried about the go-juice need. It can be very worthwhile to install the dependency gene on other pawns, once you can afford the go-juice,
With other DLC
Many empire pawns will be hussars. Be prepared for a possible go-juice need if accepting The Deserter quest, or if you're hosting some of the empire's soldiers for an extended time. If you want hussars or their genes, consider betraying the empire.
If also playing with Ideology, it is very likely that the empire's ideoligion will restrict hard drugs, including go-juice. Empire hussars will take go-juice to cure deficiency, but receive a −15 moodlet for doing so. You can disable this on game start by clicking "Create Custom" (either fluid or fixed), and then adjusting the empire's ideoligion before your own.
Some of the more valuable genes hussars have to extract are:
- <Skill> Genes - Great skill makes colonists better at combat. Even if a child was entirely vat-grown, Great Shooting makes them immediately... great at shooting. And if a colonist wouldn't use a skill to begin with, awful skill is a no-brainer.
- Go-juice dependency - As mentioned in the Go-juice section above, go-juice dependency is manageable. This gene gives a high metabolic efficiency, and using go-juice comes with several worthwhile advantages.
- Psychically deaf - If a pawn won't be a mechanitor and won't be psycasting, psychically deaf is generally a positive. It gives +2 metabolic efficiency while preventing psychic drones from having any effect. It also prevents the positives of a psychic soothe or psychic harmonizer. Drones are more likely to cause mental breaks than soothes at preventing them.