|This article relates to content added by Royalty (DLC). Please note that it will not be present without the DLC enabled.|
A signal redirector which isolates half of the brain, allowing the other half to sleep while the user remains outwardly awake. By alternating brain halves, the user never needs to sleep. Unfortunately, two hemispheres are better than one - working half a brain causes a reduction in consciousness.
- Tech Level
- 4 kg
- Required Research
- Circadian influence
- Skill Required
- Crafting 8
- Work To Make
- 26,000 ticks (7.22 mins)
- Advanced, ImplantEmpireCommon
- Bionic, ImplantEmpireCommon
Circadian half-cyclers can be crafted at a Fabrication bench once the Circadian influence research project has been completed. The required techprint can be obtained either by trade or completing quests for the Empire. They require 15 Plasteel, 4 Advanced components, 26,000 ticks (7.22 mins) of work, and a Crafting skill of 8.
A circadian half-cycler is installed in the brain and removes the Sleep need entirely. Consciousness is reduced by 15%, which itself reduces work-related stats like Moving and Manipulation, as well as Eating and Talking.
|This section is a stub. You can help RimWorld Wiki by expanding it. Reason: Please add a reason.|
If the operation fails, the part has a chanceto be destroyed.
Assuming a colonist sleeps for 8 hours, this implant allows them to work an additional ⅓ of the day, and saves space on a bedroom. Even with the consciousness loss, this makes pawns have more work time, and thus better for many tasks. This assumes you don't have many sleep reducers; see #Comparison to reducing sleep for details on that.
An unfortunate side effect of the half-cycler is mood. No sleep will prevent Lovin' entirely, remove the moodlet from an impressive bedroom, and deprive a pawn of a bed's Comfort level. An armchair can provide comfort for crafter-type pawns, but all these mood-increasers are quite significant. Non-ascetic nobles still desire a bedroom that meets their needs.
The consciousness loss has a different effect on different work types.
- Research, Hauling, Cleaning: All these tasks are done slower, but have no quality; the extra time makes up.
- Cooking: Like above; food poisoning chance is not increased.
- Construction, Crafting, Art: will produce the same-quality items, so the extra time is a net positive. Note that low-skill construction is more likely to fail.
- Plants: Allows more plants to be harvested, but lowers yield per plant. Bad when plant space is limited, good if not.
- Mining: Good for mining regular rock or deep drilling, bad for mining ores.
- Social, Animals: The half-cycler is of little help: trade is limited, prisoners and animals sleep. Lowered Consciousness means more failed attempts and higher prices.
- Medical: Tends slower, with less quality, and have less successful surgeries. Tend speed is incredibly important, but you only need to tend so much.
- Combat: Worse accuracy, will get injured more, and more likely to die from Consciousness loss.
Of course, pawns can be good at multiple work tasks. For example, a pawn that mostly does Crafting can also be your main Social pawn; independent cases should be weighed differently.
Comparison to reducing sleep
Other than quick sleeper, the following can decrease the time needed to sleep:
- High quality beds, further improved with royal beds
- Improvements to metabolism and blood pumping (like bionic stomachs, bionic hearts, and luciferium)
- Drugs, like psychite tea and wake-up.
- Sleep accelerators.
- The low sleep gene.
And, of course, the circadian assistant.
The following combinations warrant comparison:
Amazing Beds + Assistant: In total, a masterwork bed + assistant reduce sleep to 5.04 hours - that's 21% of the day. A legendary royal bed + assistant reduces sleep to 3.96 hours (16.4% of the day). If you can easily create Masterwork/Legendary beds, such as with a Production Specialist, then the half-cycler can end up a negative to work compared to a circadian assistant.
Excellent Beds + Sleep Accelerator: An excellent bed + sleep accelerator reduces sleep to 5.1 hours (21.2% of the day). A legendary royal bed + accelerator reduces sleep to 3.75 hours (15.6% of the day). Note that the accelerator does cost a fair bit of hunger and power.
Just Low Sleep: On a normal bed, low sleep alone reduces sleep to 3.43 hours (14.26% of the day). As the half-cycler reduces practically all work by -15%, this gene is a flat out improvement. The gene comes at the cost of -4 Metabolic Efficiency, which must either be compensated with bad genes, or increase hunger by up to x200%. Sanguophages already come with Low Sleep - installing a half-cycler is a net negative to them.
In all 3 cases, the pawn can still receive a bed's comfort, Lovin', and the Impressive Bedroom moodlets. These scenarios can be further improved with any of the other methods listed above. However, they'll have to walk to and from the bedroom/barracks, which is a minor time loss.
Comparison to Never Sleep
The never sleep gene will completely prevent sleep with no Consciousness loss. However, with a metabolic efficiency of -6, it requires negative genes or archite metabolism to even be used at all. It takes a large amount of negatives to negate the penalty, or 2 archite capsules for the aforementioned metabolism gene.
Never sleep is not found in any of the default xenohumans, so a genepack must be found, both for the sleep gene and whatever you're using to compensate. Alternatively, you can start with a xenotype with the gene - this still comes at the genetic cost.