Why is defName now defined in two different ways in the infobox template?
Topic on User talk:Ickputzdirwech
Jump to navigation Jump to search
defName vs def name
defName should be used consistently.
There is no good reason for it, other than that I didn’t change the parameter on a lot of pages when I switched from define and I thought instead of changing all pages individually I could fix it via the template. Apart from being a dumb idea it also doesn’t work as it’s supposed to. Forgot to clean it up again.
There are ways to implement that (e.g. checking for one and only if it doesn't exist, looking for the other, and having both assign to the same property) but its not best practice and can still cause issues down the line. Glad you fixed it.
If the issue identifying the pages to be fixed though, you can make a temporary edit to the template looking for the wrong one, and assign pages with it to a category or set some test property, and then use that to find them. Then just revert the edit to the template once you're done. Should make it pretty easy to fix it in bulk.
But I;m sure you'd have worked that out yourself, if you hadn't already - lemme know if you have any issues and feel free to close this topic if you don't have anything else to add.
Fixed the pages I remember making the changeover from define to infobox main recently. I will check again when the changeover is finished.